Advertisement

sustainable living documentaries?

topic posted Sun, September 5, 2004 - 5:24 PM by  Matt
Share/Save/Bookmark
I am interested in documentaries about environmental issues. My biggest interest is in those that are about business and lifestyle strategies that are good for the environment. I was wondering if people on this listserv had seen any documentaries of this kind (or about environmental issues in general) that they recommend. I showed my mom Bill McDonough
and Michael Braungart's "The Next Industrial Revolution" documentary. She told me afterwards that she thought McDonough was a little cocky and she did not like his bowtie but that he explained things very clearly and that the film really made her understand some of the ideas I had told her about that I study! In this era of Michael Moore and other
such actors documentary films seem especially revelavent.

Some films I have seen are below. Please add to the list if you know of good ones...

1. The Next Industrial Revolution (available at www.thenextindustrialrevolution.org/)
2. Biomimicry
3. The Corporation
4. Exporting Harm (documentary about e-waste in China)

check it out (unrelated) - www.tsdesigns.com - organic cotton apparel
that is grown COLORED (Sally Fox's breed); the company uses a worker's
cooperative, uses solar power for their offices and uses fast food
grease to run their cars

thanks!

Matt
posted by:
Matt
Albany
Advertisement
  • Re: sustainable living documentaries?

Sun, January 30, 2005 - 11:16 AM
    Hi.
    I'm on the board of an enviornmntal film network here in Seattle, and am hunting for sustainable living documentaries as well.

We just had our first Seattle Environmental Film Fest and a few films that I hadn't seen before began to address sustainbility. But most env films talk about conservation, and not really addressing the problems in a way that sustainability does.

1. Velocity - looking at wind power, interesting interview with New Belgium brewery that is 100% wind powered.

2. Broken Limbs - a film about an apple grower in Washington trying to transform his business to be more sustainable, great interviews with farmers about addressing the triple bottom line (planet, people and profit) and how they do that. www.brokenlimbs.org/

3. Designing a Great Neighborhood (behind the Scenes at HOliday) - this is a promo-type film of a neighborhood in Boulder that wanted to build using princples of sustainbility. It's really fascinating what they did. Things like share furnaces across a building to reduce cost and improve effeciencies, create more bike racks vs. garages.

I've seen Next Industrial Revolution and I feel like it doesn't really address sustainability, but more about cradle to cradle concepts which is great. But it doesn't address the social aspect of what sustainbility is about. And I heard McDonough is a pretty egotistical.

One film that I'm trying to get my hands on that's about green building and radical changes is www.designoutlaws.com/ I've heard it's really good.

Have fun!

Sarah

Tue, February 1, 2005 - 12:19 PM
      Greetings Sarah :

I have been looking for u.
      I live in the Great Nwest too.
      I am seeking to start a shindig it is a movement all around the whirrled and I will simply be assisting in brining it to Skiddaddle.

More than a film showing.
      A monthly event which Documentaries,Independent and Controversial films are shown and a presentation followed by a discussion forum.The documentaries will focus on Environmental Issues,Indigenous Peoples Rights,Endangered Species,Sacred Land Projects,Intentional Communites,Direct Action101 and more.
      Information and literature for assisting the said project is provided as well as charging a sliding scale admission to raise funds & awareness for the project.
      I have helped to facilitate this in Oregon,California,New Mexico,Arizona,the deep South,Midwest and South America.

*Lets bring it to Skiddaddle*

Cheers,
      Z

Tue, February 1, 2005 - 12:58 PM
        Wow we have an awsome chat going on here! One of the things that I would like to bring to everyones attention is bio-mass converstion facilities. Recycleing all the communities garbage to produce bio-diesel, hydrogen fuel, and non stop heat. This in itself will be a documentary.

We are looking for a crew with a HD Camera for the purpose of filming 5 blockbuster documentarys and several other educational documentarys. More info on biofriendlydomes.tribe.net

Peace, Love, & Enlightenment

Wed, February 2, 2005 - 11:00 PM
        I love the shindig idea.. we did this last summer..two of my friends showed "The End of Suburbia" had a little powerpoint presentation and then lead a discussion on what do we do now? It was really inspiring. I loved to hear how people react to controversial possibly life changing information.. do they panic? do they strategize? We need to have the conversation so that people become present to these issues, and make choices, intentional choices of what to do. Which leads probably to the beginning of this thread with Matt showing movies to his Mom and talking about it.. that's sooo awesome. need more of that.

s

Fri, February 4, 2005 - 1:52 AM
          Mz. Sara
          we r destined to create this funky fun awakening & THINKIN IN Skiddadle.
          That is exactly it.
          Luv yer idea of powerpoint tho clueless on how to set that up.
          I still shoot with a HI8
          Luddite I am
          Digital schmittal a bit 2 complex tho open to learning.

b in touch,
          Z

Recent topics in "Intentional Community"